Among the prizes awarded for acoustic creation, the Phonurgia Nova competition has, since 1986, occupied a special place by virtue of its recognition of artists whose work exploits sound as a medium for expressing the real and the imaginary. The contest is open to all authors and producers (independant and public radios, musicians, composers, sound artists and multimedia production teams). An international jury panel (made up of representatives from the radio industry, the art press and the sound world) will judge the entries.
#02 CALL FOR WORKS
This year’s competition will distinguish authors whose work manifests a keen sense of sound and listening as means of expression. In that frame, the criterions remain: “Radicality, boldness, audibility”! As usual, the jury will consider all forms of inventive radio and digital forms (documentary, feature, fiction, essays, Hörspiel, experimental radio, Field recording, podcasts, etc.).
The jury will deliberate on two types of works :
1) completed production (granted with euros)
2) project (granted with residencies and workshops)
All radio/audio entries to Phonurgia Nova Awards 2018 must have been produced during the two past years. Works that have not yet been broadcast/published are also eligible. All preselected works will be broadcasted during the two days’ Festival in their integrality if they do not exceed 20 minutes. If the piece is longer, an extract will be chose by the author for the broadcast in public.
The jury will award 5 Prizes (for an amount of 7 500 €) :
1) The “Sound Art Award” of 2 000 € (for the finalized production).
2) The “ Fiction Award ” of 2 000 € is granted by the french authors society, SACD.
3) The “Spoken archives Award” of 1 000€ granted by the BnF / Bibliothèque Nationale de France – François Mitterrand (Paris). It will award an author or group of authors claiming creative freedom in collecting and/or manufacturing the speech (without any language restriction).
4) The “Field recording Award” of 1 000€ is granted by the ” Musée de la Camargue” (Arles). It will award an author or group of authors claiming creative freedom in exploring the sound of nature, and interaction between humans and the environnement.
5) The “Pierre Schaeffer Discovery Award” of 500€ (for the finalized production) and several Phonurgia Nova Workshops (for the projects) during summer 2019. This category is only open for authors less than 30 years old at the date of the competition. If you submit a work or a project in this category you must be born after July 15, 1988.
In addition, 4 residencies will be granted for innovating projects, submitted as scripts, in these various areas. These residencies will take place at GRM/INA (Paris), GMVL (Lyon), Euphonia (Marseille), and Phonurgia Nova (Arles). The french fiction Residency will be granted with 1 000 € by the SACD. The discussions of the jury are open to the public during two listening days (29th and 30th of September at the BnF), but the final Jury decisions are not subject to appeal. The awarded works and some others works belonging to the final selection will be offered to the members of the EBU European Broadcasting Union, and to the French radio non-profit networks, for one free broadcast per station. The broadcasts will be declared to the respective author’s rights organizations.
#04 HOW TO APPLY
Each entry must be filled out in English or in French, and drop audio files on the following website Dropbox. Download our guideline here.
Each submission must include:
1 – a biography of the author(s) and general information concerning his (their) habitual manner of working.
2 – an authorization to participate from the production or the co-authors of the works submitted
3 – a short description of the work submitted
4 – a sound file in good quality (wav)
5 – in the ‘project’ category: we expect a description and/or “maquette” and/or a scenario of the project, accompanied by any documentation which could inform the jury as to the intention of the authors and the technical requirements of the project
6 – A transcription in English of the text included in the work, if relevant
7 – for the “Pierre Schaeffer Discovery award”, in addition with the documents above, we ask for a copy of an identity card mentioning the date of birth of the authors.
We expect one application form by submission in the different categories (and not one per author/producer).